Saturday, November 30, 2013

Cookie & Elsie a trois, Phil & Gale, Thanksgiving


Michael & Phil tried to golf Wednesday (11/27) morning, but only got in 7 holes before the temperature dropped too much.  So we spent a couple of hours in the kitchen, making carrot/potato mash and stuffing.  We both relaxed in the afternoon and no matter where we were working….we had company:



 

I finally finished GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn….WHAT a book…I know it has been on the best seller lists, but my friend Nancy read it and urged me to read it.  The writing was excellent, the story was totally new and it was a real page turner.  I would HIGHLY recommend this book.  Since we are having guests for Thanksgiving day, we decided to do puffy things and champagne for dinner Wednesday night.  Then it was snuggling on the couch until bedtime…heaven!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!  It was a very relaxing day with Phil & Gale:

 
You know, my hubby told me long, long ago that his tummy didn’t like apples, so I gave up my good apple pie recipe.  But then it seemed that every time we went anywhere and apple pie was available, he would eat it!  So…I decided to make one for Thanksgiving (since none of us likes pumpkin):

before baking (good thing I put it on a cookie sheet,
because it definitely leaked)

and after....
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Of course we had our stuffing and carrot/potatoes keeping warm in crockpots:

 
 
along with the turkey and veggies.  We were all pleasantly full by the end of dinner and had a good time just sitting and talking.

Michael took the dog for a walk first thing Friday morning, and by the time he returned, Eric was here to install our grab bars in the bathroom.  We had one put in the shower and one on the side of the tub to make it easier to get out.  As he was leaving, Sally called and when she found out he was here, she asked him to come right over and install them in their house as well.  I put together sandwich bread dough, but when I went to bake it, I found out the oven quit working!!!  The good news is…thank goodness it didn’t happen on Thanksgiving…but the bad news is…no repair until next WEDNESDAY!!!!  Can you imagine me without an oven for 5 days???  So much for getting a jump on my Christmas baking.  Oh well, guess I’ll have to spend my time sewing  J.  We were going to visit with Sally & Jimmy anyway, so I took the dough over there to bake it.  Anyway, dinner was heated on the stovetop, and we watched “Julie & Julia” in the evening (which totally made me want to make something from Julia Child, so I ordered MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.