Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Jimmy's signature quilt, label


Nancy came to visit Monday morning (10/1) because she is having cataract surgery on Tuesday morning.  I finished tying in the ends of thread on a semi-secret project that can now be revealed!!!!  I have been working on a quilt for my friend Jimmy, who has the brain tumor.  I decided to do a signature quilt so that many of his friends and golfing buddies could write out their wishes for his speedy recovery.  The quilt is finally finished and was dropped off on their porch Monday afternoon while they were at radiation/chemo therapy.  Although I would have loved to have seen his face when he opened it….it was not about me doing a quilt for him…it was about all of his friends wishing him well…so that’s what I wanted him to notice.  I am thrilled with how the quilt turned out.  I really didn’t know what it was going to look like because I used lots of colors, but Michael and I worked on the layout and I just love it.  I put sky blue flannel on the back (because his wife Sally said blue was his favorite color and I wanted him to have something soft ) and my friend Nancy did a spectacular custom quilting job on it….not stitching over any of the signatures and doing a beautiful fleur de lis like design in each of the color blocks.  Michael took it over and dropped it off in the afternoon.

Around 5 PM, we got a call from the 2 young men who will be staying with us for several days while they compete in a golf tournament here at our course, asking what the plan was for dinner and I told them it would be on the table in 5 minutes( since Michael had to leave for rehearsal before 6).  They came right over and sat down to Mexican Chicken soup that had been cooking in the crockpot all day.  I also did 2 loaves of corn bread, a coffee cake for Tuesday morning and 2 dozen cookies for the guys to take with them while golfing.  Michael left for rehearsal, the guys went downstairs to play pool and I cleaned up the kitchen before heading out to square dancing.  I signed everyone in and was home by 8 to finally make ice cream for Michael out of the base I made several days ago.  He got home around 8:30 and LOVED the ice cream and we got to watch a bit of TV before heading for bed.

BTW - Sally called around 7PM….she was crying….kept asking how all of these people from Georgia and Texas and Connecticut got to sign this quilt, along with all of the people here….she couldn’t believe how much love and many prayers the quilt represented.  She really didn’t see it as a gift from me, as much as a gift from so many people praying for them…that is EXACTLY the reaction I was hoping for.  She said Jimmy would read a block or 2, and then have to pause, and then would read another one, and then pause.  I am SO HAPPY!  And now…it is back to my regularly scheduled crafting (with no secrets....at least for awhile J.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Deb, the quilt came out beautiful!! And the story that goes with it is even more beautiful...

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.