Thursday, February 23, 2012

mpd b-day cake, how to make soft butter, mpd & Cookie

Wednesday (2/22) was supposed to be a perfect stay-at-home-all-day day, but you know that old saying ‘man plans, God laughs’.  I had a temporary crown put in a couple of months ago…and the lab tore my impression while trying to make a permanent crown, so I had to go in, in the morning and do it all over again.  First they had to take off the temporary, of course that shattered as they took it off, so it couldn’t be used again.  All in all it took 1-1/2 hours, when it was supposed to take 15 – 20 minutes.  I did a bit of grocery shopping on the way home and finally got home at NOON and called Beth.  She needed some knitting help, so she came over.  I got the batter mixed up for another cake for Michael and into the oven before she arrived.  She is sewing up her vest and it really looks nice.  Once she left, I made the frosting and got another cake all done (this time remembering to take a picture):


I don’t know about you, but I am forever forgetting to take butter out of the refrigerator in time to get soft when I want to bake something.  I think I’ve come up with a really clever way to get butter soft fast.  You just can’t use the microwave because no matter how careful you are, it always seems to melt in the middle before you get the outside soft.  Anyway, I take a coffee cup and heat up a cup of water in the microwave for a couple of minutes.  Then I put it on the cutting board and place the butter next to the cup, but not too near.   


Then I put the bowl of my salad spinner over all, creating a nice warm, terrarium environment.  Viola, in no time at all the butter is soft and ready to use.


Anyway, I had the cake all done by dinnertime and Michael had a piece and pronounced it excellent!  We watched TV in the evening and I also got a bit of time to work on some small purses.

By the way, Michael and I have been very tired since Cookie joined us…waking up at 3:30 AM every morning to take her out has certainly taken its toll.  We are each averaging a nap every other day, here's one of them:

1 comment:

  1. Of course, look who's sleeping and who's awake....

    BTW, I discovered another way of softening butter...if you have an aquarium, put the sticks on top of the nice warm aquarium light/hood.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.