Monday, February 11, 2013

birthday cake, kaulua cake, turnovers, birthday guests


Michael left for golf on Saturday (2/9) and I spent a good bit of time cleaning.  We are having a bunch of people over on Sunday (mostly his golfing buddies) to celebrate his birthday, and I’m baking the cake on Sunday, so wanted to get all of the cleaning out of the way.  Since I still didn’t know what sewing project to start, I spent several hours in the afternoon cleaning the mess-that-is-my-desk!  Here’s the floor before:
 

 and here’s after:
 
 

I also had a HUGE pile on the desk itself….more pics on that once I get it fully cleaned off.  I got some knitting done on some charity mittens while we watched TV after dinner.

************************************************ 

Happy Birthday to Michael!!!!!!  Yes, Sunday (2/10) was a GREAT day!  We were up early to open presents…he got some Marvin the Martian golf tees, a new Zentangle book, a 50 year retrospective of The Beach Boys, and a dress watch.  I got his regular birthday layer cake done: 

 a Kaulua chocolate chip bundt cake done:
 
 

and these strawberry jam mini-turnovers (and one larger peach turnover) that I have been DYING to make:

 


 

aren’t they the cutest things?  I’ve had the turnover makers forever…just looking for a chance to use them.  I used my own homemade puff pastry for the first time too!  I also had a bunch that I froze before baking...so now I can whip them out and have a great dessert in no time at all:
 
That took all morning…and cleaning up the kitchen took quite a bit of the afternoon  J.  We had a quick dinner and our guests started arriving at 6 for champagne and birthday desserts (I didn't get pics of all....but most!):
 
Jan & Walt

Joanne & Nancy

Deanna & Jerry

Ralph & Candace

Gloria K & Larry A
 

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I think everyone had a good time, and they certainly enjoyed the treats!  Michael and I watched 3 episodes of ‘our’ show (AS TIME GOES BY) before he pronounced it a wonderful birthday and we headed off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.