Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Jan's dragonfly table runner


Tuesday (1/29) was a fabulous day!  I spent the morning with Nancy, talking about everything under the sun and also getting her opinion on my entrelac sweater.  I got home at 12:30 and the inside temp was 63 degrees but the outside temp was 69.  I heated up soup for lunch and opened all of the windows.  By the time I finished my soup 1/2 an hour later…the house was at 65 and I headed off to knitting.  I took lots of show and tell and I think everyone really liked what I brought.  By the time I got home, the house had warmed up to a terrific 71 degrees….WHOO HOO!!!  Michael came home at 4:30 from a bad day at golf  L and after a quick shower we had dinner and headed over to Jan and Walt’s.  And then…..and then…..my terrific day just got better and better….the mystery I have been working on was for Jan.  Jan is crazy about dragonflies.  She had some dragonfly fabric…and I think she has had it for awhile.  When I went to her house several weeks ago, to help put her fabric back on the shelves (remember, she is moving sewing room from upstairs to downstairs) her granddaughter Rachel was visiting.  I spotted the dragonfly fabric and immediately asked Jan to go upstairs and get me a glass of ice water.   Once she left, I grabbed my car keys and the fabric and asked Rachel to smuggle it out to my car…along with the measurements of Jan’s dining room table (really, how any of my friends trust me alone in their homes I do not know  J).  Anyway….a few weeks later there was this:
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
and this:

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
and this:

 

 So, when we get to their house, I make up some excuse so that Jan and I go downstairs to check out some of her fabric…meanwhile, upstairs, Michael is putting the table runner on the dining room table.   He comes over to the top of the stairs and says ‘honey, we’re leaving…come and give me a kiss’…that’s my cue to know that he is all set.  We got upstairs and start to walk towards the table and Jan looks and says ‘that’s my fabric’…..then she says ‘it’s a table runner’….then she says ‘it’s beautiful’!  The guys leave for the movies and I tell her how the whole thing came about….I am VASTLY relieved when she tells me that she bought the fabric to make some curtains for the kitchen, but that Walt wasn’t sure he liked that…..so since then, the fabric has just been sitting…whew…it would have to awful to use up something and totally screw up a project for her  J.  We spent the rest of the evening knitting and watching TV…but several times when Jan went out to the kitchen, she would detour over to the table, touch the runner and say ‘it’s beautiful'…SCORE!!!  It was a very nice evening!

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful piece of work - as are you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.