Thursday, July 25, 2019

Paula's quilt, Pam, birthday cake!


Michael was up at 5:30 AM on Wednesday (7/24) for golf here at SCCL and left early for a 7 AM shotgun start.  I got the program all set up for Paula’s quilt before leaving for my Guest Pass Policy meeting.  I made a quick stop at the bank and Harris Teeter before getting home at NOON.  My honey was already home, pleased with his 86 and one birdie.  

AND, Jan H came through her surgery with flying colors, so I’m hoping you’ll all switch over to praying for her speedy recovery. 

After Michael and I talked for a bit, I started to put together my birthday cake.  I LOVE chocolate cake with a non-sugary white frosting.  


I have several excellent chocolate cake recipes, but have been struggling with frosting recipes….so I’m trying a new one this year, and will get opinions from the people who try it :~).  


That took most of the afternoon, but before dinner I did make a start on the quilting for Paula:  



I think this pattern looks AWESOME on her quilt!!  

Pam stopped by in the afternoon to drop off a gift, a felted pin cushion in my colors that she made herself:  


I finished up frosting the cake while she was there, and even did a bit of piping (the hardest thing is making sure you don't get those chocolate crumbs picked up into the white frosting....and I'm always too lazy to do a crumb coat!!):  






We invited just a few people over to try out the cake:  


Doug and Phil

Gale and Jim

Ann Mary

Paula

Sally

and everyone pronounced it yummy!  


I headed downstairs after everyone left and finished off Paula’s quilt!

Mary Jo sent me this article, and for anyone who sews it is EXCELLENT reading…and something I never thought of:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/apollo-11-the-seamstresses-who-helped-put-a-man-on-the-moon/

I know most people don’t get to see the comments on a post, because they are added after the post if published.  So, I wanted to include another note on the UTI subject :


Thank you for sharing your UTI story. And maybe my daughter's story added on will illustrate the consequences of ignoring the symptoms. My daughter could tell by her symptoms she had a UTI, but just followed home remedy of lots of cranberry juice. The outer symptoms eventually went away, but couple weeks later she became very sick and went to emergency room. She ended up spending 2 days in the hospital with a kidney infection. So Deb is right, go for that test! 

3 comments:

  1. Love that quilting pattern! I've had that used on a couple of quilts and it always looks wonderful.

    Chocolate cake with white frosting is my favorite combo. Yours looked yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pattern for Paula's quilt- the juxtaposition of diamonds to squares is perfect! Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever tried my Moms cooked frosting recipe ? Agreed - quilting looks AWESOME on Paula's quilt. Thnx for sharing the followup story on the UTI - I had the same thing happen to me - forgot all about it !

    ReplyDelete

Please add your email address within the comment if you would like a reply.